What is Matcha?
Matcha is a type of tea, but instead of steeping the leaves, matcha is actually made from the leaves themselves. Japanese green tea leaves are finely ground into a powder and then sold as you see here. You can add this powder to water, latte’s, smoothies, yogurt, and the list goes on. It’s a new “trendy” food item, but why? Is it because it’s green and draws attention? Is it actually better than coffee? Why is it healthy?
1. Matcha contains up to 5x the amount of L-theanine that’s regularly found in other teas (none in coffee). L-theanine is an amino acid that helps improve alertness and focus, while also producing a sense of relaxation. Therefore, with matcha you’ll experience a state of ‘calm alertness’ instead of jittery nervousness.
2. Matcha contains catechins and other extremely potent antioxidants which help fight cancer and disease while also fighting the aging process. Matcha has 10x the antioxidant capacity of green tea and 6x that of goji berries, which were once touted as the antioxidant king. Want clearer skin? Start sipping!
3. Matcha boosts the metabolism. It’s known that green tea has metabolism-boosting effects, so imagine what that effect is like when you drink the actual whole leaf? It’s believed some people may experience a boost of up to 40%, as matcha tea effects the body’s thermogenesis process.
4. It can stop bad breath in its tracks. The catechin blast you get from drinking matcha has a sterilizing effect, preventing the growth of germs that can lead to periodontal disease and halitosis when consumed after a meal. Bye coffee breath!
5. It’s a clean fix. Even though Matcha only contains around 34mg of caffeine per cup, it’s effects are more sustained. You’ll receive up to a 4-6 hour period of alertness when compared to a cup of coffee which has minimum 65mg caffeine/cup and a short burst effect window of 1-3 hours. Coffee also comes with a crash when the effects wear off whereas matcha does not.
Were these reasons enough to give it a shot?! Try it for yourselves and let me know what you think!